Wednesday, December 15, 2010

O. M. G.

The Meca of Midcentury Modern


I've had a love affair with Palm Springs forever!!!  I could spend days & days driving up and down the streets staring at the amazing MCM homes and hotels......and then there are the thrift shops.  OK, they're not necessarily anything related to thrifty now but even the non-thrift, massively expensive shops house some of the most amazing, unique, heart-stopping, hand-sweaty, can-I-even-justify it? treasures.  To top it all off, Palm Springs is the host of Modernism Week - what could possibly be any cooler than that?  A whole week of all-things-modernism - it's like heaven with hairpin legs and a never-ending supply of bullet planters!!

I'll Tell You What Could Take the Cool Factor Up a Notch....

....a vintage trailer show!!!  Last year it was at the Ace Hotel - I remember finding an article about the exhibit at the Ace and thinking how incredible it would have been to see those lovely vintage trailers;....our trailer renovation was well on it's way to becoming a reality but seemingly forever away from being chosen as a participant for such a prestigous event.  Fast-forward to 2010...we finished our AS renovation (but seriously, is it ever really finished?) and...in a moment of extreme bravery...I sent an email to the person managing this event - who just so happened to be Rich at Airstream Life.   In his quick response he said there were eight spaces left, and included an application....but wait, before submitting the app Rick needed to see photos of the interior & exterior of our AS and review them with the committee.

But What If They Say No???????

I couldn't bear the thought that the committee would say our AS wasn't the appropriate representation of MCM.....but why chicken out now?  I compiled a collection of before, during and after photos and bravely hit send late Monday evening.  Whatever.......if they didn't invite us I'm sure some good wine and perhaps a few therapy sessions...combined with one heck of a shopping gala...I could get over it....who am I kidding, NOT!!!




WHOO HOO!!!!!!!

First thing Tuesday morning - there it was ...."the email".  Rich assured me there was no need for butterflies on my part and that our AS would be a great addition to their exhibit.  


We're So In!!!!!!!  


Uhhh....now what?  Of course I need to get that awesome "Lucy" doorbell installed, we absolutely NEED an awning, axles, tires & wheels - oh my!!!  So need that hip, massively expensive  and very cute brushed steel side table from my favorite store in Bellevue, WA and most definitely must find just the right table lamp.......install the new power inverter, polish the AS although we swore we never would...I'm sure there's something I've missed.

What an amazing journey our AS has been, and continues to be.  As I type my husband is plotting our course from Hillsboro, OR to Palm Springs in mid-February.  There's a good chance that anywhere from 450 - 750 people could walk through our trailer during the two day exhibit...just typing that brought back those butterflies. 

Wish us luck...and if you happen to be in Palm Springs Feb 24-27, 2010 stop by the Riveria Hotel and say hi!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment